Melissa and friends walk the streets of Bocas, Panama.
The Caribbean Flamingo
- Classification: Phoenicopterus ruber
- Geographic range/ distribution
- Physical characteristics: head, tongue, appendages, feathers, brain vs. eye size, etc.
- What makes Flamingos pink? food habits: how they eat, what they eat
- Reproduction: copulation, nesting, egg laying, feeding young, flightless period
- Behavior: flight, swim, sleep, vocalization, "communal stomp", "head flagging"
- Habitat: can remain healthy in unnatural zoo environment, but pink color fades to white
- Migration: move in herds, or "pats", of hundreds to thousands
- Senses: hear, sight, taste etc.
- Predators and who protects them: Bahamas National Parks
- Importance to humans/ human interaction
National Geographic Society. Field Guide to Birds of North America. Washington D.C.: National Geographic Society, 1983.
Pough, Richard. Auduban Water Bird Guide. Garden City New York: Doubleday & Company, 1951.
Brooks, Bruce. On the Wing. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1989.
Slater, Peter. Encyclopedia of Animal Behavior. New York: Equinox Limited, 1987.
Chapman, Frank. Handbook of Birds of Eastern North America. New York: Dover Publications, 1966.
Brown, L. The Mystery of the Flamingos. London: Country Life Limited, 1959.
Gallet, E. Flamingos of the Camargue. Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1950.
Palmer, Ralph. Handbook of North American Birds. New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1962.
Perrins, Christopher and Middleton, Alex. The Encyclopedia of Birds. New York: Facts on File Publications, 1985.
Forshaw, Joseph. Encyclopedia of Birds. San Diego: Academic Press, 1998.
Grzimek, Bernhard. Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, 1972.
For Further Info on this Topic, Check out this WWW Site: www.ilor.com (search "dorothy's fabulous flamingos") .
Return to Topic Menu
We also have a GUIDE for depositing articles, images, data, etc in your research folders.
Article complete. Click HERE to return to the Pre-Course Presentation Outline and Paper Posting Menu. Or, you can return to the course syllabus
WEATHER & EARTH SCIENCE RESOURCES
OTHER ACADEMIC COURSES, STUDENT RESEARCH, OTHER STUFF
TEACHING TOOLS & OTHER STUFF
It is 1:58:44 AM on Sunday, January 21, 2018. Last Update: Wednesday, May 7, 2014