This thunderstorm was right at flight level. See other beautiful phenomena from the Bahamas.
There are approximately 20,000 butterfly species worldwide. Of these, an incredible diversity exists in Costa Rica, about 1,000 or 5%.
In my paper, I plan to investigate the following.
A. Butterfly Physiology
a. Larvae Stage
b. Pupa Stage
C. Relationship to Plants
D. Butterfly Defense Mechanisms
E. Differences Between a Moth and a Butterfly
F. Identification of top twenty species; also their host plant and preferred food.
In short, my paper will include everything one needs to know in order to create a butterfly conservatory.
Here are some preliminary findings.
Butterfly genus Host plant Butterfly genus Host plant
Parides sp. Aristolochia Papilio cresphontes Citrus
Battus polydamus Dione juno Passiflora
Anteos chlorinde Cassia Agraulis vanillae
Phoebis sp. Dryas iulia
Hamadryas sp. Dalechampia Heliconius sp.
Adelpha fessonia Randia Caligo sp. Musa, Heliconia
Papilio thoas Piperaceae Danaus plexippus
6. The Neotropical Companion by John Kricher
Princeton University Press, 1997. P.158-159.
7. Butterfly Conservation by T.R. New
Oxford University Press, 1997. P. 63-70.
8. DeVries, P. J. 1997. The Butterflies of Costa Rica and their Natural History. Vol. II. Riodinidae. Princeton University Press
9. Haber, W. A. 1993. Seasonal migration of monarchs and other butterflies in Costa Rica. In: Biology and Conservation of the Monarch Butterfly. Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History, Los Angeles. pp. 201-207.
10. Haber, W. A. and R. D. Stevenson. Diversity, migration, and conservation of butterflies in northern Costa Rica. In: Biodiversity Conservation in Costa Rica, Learning the Lesson in the Seasonal Dry Forest. G. Frankie, A. Mata, and S. B. Vinson, editors. University of California Press. In press.
For Further Info on this Topic, Check out this WWW Site: http://www.cs.umb.edu/~whaber/Monte/Ithomid/Ithomid-fram.html.
Return to Topic Menu
We also have a GUIDE for depositing articles, images, data, etc in your research folders.
Article complete. Click HERE to return to the Pre-Course Presentation Outline and Paper Posting Menu. Or, you can return to the course syllabus
WEATHER & EARTH SCIENCE RESOURCES
OTHER ACADEMIC COURSES, STUDENT RESEARCH, OTHER STUFF
TEACHING TOOLS & OTHER STUFF
It is 5:02:09 AM on Monday, May 27, 2019. Last Update: Wednesday, May 7, 2014