We had a terrific group of people in our recent course in the Bahamas
This discussion will include an overview of turtle and sea turtle evolution. I will then compare and contrast the biology of loggerheads, hawksbill, green and leatherback sea turtles. I intend to provide general information on these majestic creatures focusing on the problems their populations are facing and what we can do to aid in conservation efforts.
An Introduction to Sea Turtle Evolution
b. Sea turtles
III. Biology: compare and contrast
IV. Risks associated with sea turtle populations
b. environmental and natural risks
a. Conservation efforts
b. Look to the future
1. Burger, J., & Garber, S. (1995) Risk assessment, life history strategies, and turtles: could declines be prevented or predicted? Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, 46, 483-500.
2. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration-Office of Protected Resources. (n.d.) Marine Turtles. Retrieved February 2, 2005 from http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/turtles
3. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. (n.d.) Endangered Species Act of 1973. Retrieved February 12, 2005 from http://endangered.fws.gov/esa.html#Lnk09
4. Reippel, O., & Reisz, R. (1999) The Origin and Early Evolution of Turtles. Annual Review Ecology Systematics, 30, 1-22.
5. Orenstein, Ronald. Turtles, Tortoises and Terrapins. Buffalo, New York: Firefly Books, 2001.
6. Spotilla, James. Sea Turtles: A complete guide to their biology, behavior, and conservation. Baltimore, Maryland: John Hopkins University Press, 2004.
7. Davidson, Osha Gray. Fire in the Turtle House. New York: Public Affairs, 2003.
8. Davidson, Osha Gray. The Enchanted Braid: Coming to terms with nature on the coral reef. New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1998.
Return to Topic Menu
We also have a GUIDE for depositing articles, images, data, etc in your research folders.
Article complete. Click HERE to return to the Pre-Course Presentation Outline and Paper Posting Menu. Or, you can return to the course syllabus
WEATHER & EARTH SCIENCE RESOURCES
OTHER ACADEMIC COURSES, STUDENT RESEARCH, OTHER STUFF
TEACHING TOOLS & OTHER STUFF
It is 8:50:46 AM on Saturday, November 18, 2017. Last Update: Wednesday, May 7, 2014